May 21, 2013

Hornet!

I was awoken from deep sleep in the dark by a hornet that stung my hand.  What a way to wake up!  He must have been trapped in the bedspread.  An epic battle ensued that woke everyone in the cabin, and I triumphed.  There was no way to return to sleep knowing it was still alive!

There it lay, smashed on the floor by a tissue box, me standing above it panting with a palm screaming from potent poison.

It was a regular old hornet, always a sight to behold.

(image heisted from the Interweb)

Here is one similar, above the coin.  The big beast below it is a mystery. At first glance he looks like a regular old hornet, but is 5-6 times the size.  Not typical.



2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the time I ran over a wasps nest with a lawn mower and didn't realize it until I emptied the utility bag of grass clippings and hundreds of angrily buzzing bees. Only received 6-7 small stings but I ran very fast. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, glad to see you figured out how to post here! I think I remember that lawn mower incident.

    ReplyDelete