April 29, 2012

Barred Owl!

We were puttering around on our deck when, out of the corner of my eye, something moved out on a tree branch about 30 feet away. I turned and my eyes registered a stunning sight. Looking right back at me on a branch that was eye level was a large barred owl. I pointed to where it was perched, but it took Sandy quite a few moments to locate him. In fact, if he hadn't moved his wing, I wouldn't have seen him either. We stood in amazement as the owl stared back, then turned his head in the opposite direction and back. Owls are beautiful and startling figures. Finn never saw him, or heard him, even when he took to flight across our drive and into the woods. Even at take-off he produced no sound.  His wingspan was approximately four feet.

Alas, we were without a camera.  But here are a few photos I heisted from the Internet.



We had a wonderfully quiet Saturday, which was much deserved after a hard week at both our jobs. 


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful sight it must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's freaking cool! I have a poem featuring a barred owl. And by "I have" I mean, "I know." I'll send 'er along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats really cool, your lucky to have seen one so close up









    ReplyDelete