The folks at the Colestin Rural Fire District in Oregon gathered this extensive data on types, fuel value and ratings of firewood. It is everything we've been learning all in one page. We burn only oak, hickory, and maple. It turns out we've been doing it right!
So we had to cut this dead tree down as it was standing along our road, threatening to fall. It was a maple tree that has been dead for quite a few years. The nice thing about it standing for so long is that it is pretty much already seasoned, or dried out, and ready for burning to heat or cabin. At the moment it's all cut, stacked and waiting to be split next weekend.
I cut the stump a bit higher than usual so that I could try some carving with my chain saw. The H is still a part of the stump and will likely be there for a decade. You will see it as you drive along the road up to the cabin.
Our neighbor nearby heard the sawing and ventured up the road to see. He said, "Good thing your name isn't Quiggley."
One final job we had done before winter was to have a log and timber specialist come in and replace the rotted logs and rafter tails at the back of the cabin. It was tough to find Tom Colucci, a remarkable builder craftsman, but well worth the search. Tom spent quite some time at the cabin and at his mill planning for the replacement of these logs in a way that would match nearly perfectly. Here are a few pictures of his work.
It's hard to see but the bottom two logs on the foreground are new (not stripped yet) and the bottom three on the wall set back are all new. Tom jacked up the cabin with hydraulics, snaked out the rotted logs and snaked in the new ones. When we corn cob blast and then treat all the logs in the Spring, they will match perfectly.
Some of the rot "before."
These are new rafter tails as well. This was a tough job, cutting and notching these logs to fit up in there!
A "before" picture of one of the rafter tails.
A couple of log ends replaced on the bathroom side.
Sandy got down to metal on the wood burning stove and we repainted it with special paint - a matte black like the stovepipe by her head. Where paint had peeled over the decades, the iron had oxidized. We forgot to take an "after" picture, but it looks professional!
This section of the cabin has never had a gutter on it. The last step in our major efforts to move water away from the foundation is to install one here. Step one was to get an electrician to come in and move the utility lines down because they were too close to the eave. That's probably why no one tried to add the gutter.
After the electric work I took the rest of the task on myself.
First, because the eave is angled I had to cut a piece to adjoin to the eave so that the gutter hangs level. Without a table saw I had to rip this 35 degree angle with a circular saw. It worked well enough.
Here, in a later stage, you can see its purpose:
Gutter goes on (pitched 1/4" every ten feet).
After the gutter and leader is installed, I dug a trench and ran drainage pipe to the cliff. You can see the very end of the pipe that our excavator installed for the other leader.
And there you have it. The last of the rain water moves far away from the cabin.
A handful of friends came up just in time for the first Autumn cool air. We had a great time once again. First, before our BBQ, we went to Oktoberfest up at Hunter Mountain. The region is populated with older generations of Germans (and now a few generations of their offspring) who were escaping those nasty 20th century wars. The Catskills is very much like the Bavarian Alps, so these folks move in, opened businesses, and imported much of their culture. That would include schnitzel eating, beer drinking, and the traditional Alpine hikers hat, one of which Mike bought. We had a blast up there, but didn't take any photos. Below is us back at the cabin enjoying Sandy's superb BBQ-ing skills and Canadian beer (it was cheap and there was no Spaten at the market).
Prashanth says something that Mark isn't sure is funny.
Finally we got a break in the weather. We were growing weary of the wet, humid summer. August was the wettest on record in the region!
We have been working hard to clean up form Hurricane Irene, which did quite a bit of tree pruning and snapped a few large maples (60 footers). Mike put his chain saw to work and made fast work of next year's firewood. Maple is excellent for the wood burning stove as it burns very hot and slowly. We also saved many lengths between 2 1/2 and 4 inches in diameter so we can experiment with making maple railings. Maple is beautiful wood!
We also lost a big oak, which is the very best firewood.
Overall we sustained minimal damage form the hurricane. Nothing hit the cabin but some fallen branches. We did have one tree take down our electric lines but that's all taken care of.
This week we have a very talented contractor named Tom Colucci who is doing the log replacement and repairs. His mill has made approximately 40' of logs to match the existing ones. Our log home is what they call New England style, meaning that the logs are hand peeled and "natural," meaning that they are not all milled to exactly the same size and shape. Tom will be gently lifting up the good logs, snaking out the rotten ones, and snaking in new ones. This is both exciting and nerve racking! Photos to come.